Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tudor Gown - First Steps

Just put some fabric in the washing machine to get started on my first late-period garb for the SCA. I'm going to try making a fitted English gown, as seen in The Tudor Tailor. I'm a bit nervous? I made a miniature version a few months ago, to make sure I understood how the pieces all go together, but it's a huge chunk of fabric to waste, if I make a mistake.

Luckily I'm using thrift store fabrics? I found 12 yards of a heavy i-think-it's-upholstery-weight-linen at a resale shop. The pattern calls for 3.5 yards and I'm washing 4, so i've got room for screw-ups, but I'd rather not make any mistakes, you know?

I'm using the thrift store fabric for the kirtle, and I have another thrift store find to use for the sleeves, but I haven't found the perfect fabric for the fitted gown yet.

Here's the miniature version, as modeled by the lovely Claire Bear:

I haven't quite finished setting up the new sewing room, btw, but it's clearly operational! I made a mock-up in muslin of a Viking style tunic dress the other day. The pattern I found needs some adjustments, though, so I'm gonna wait until I remake it to post pictures.

(It might have turned out better if someone else had done the measuring! lol...I was trying to measure my own arm circumference one-handed...)


Kirtle fabric in back, sleeve fabric in the front:

Don't know, don't care if the pattern on the sleeve fabric is 100% historically correct, but it's really pretty and i'm gonna use it regardless of its authenticity. It's hard to tell in the photo, but the darker embroidered bits are a dark sage green, and I'm hoping to find a nice fabric in a similar shade for the over gown.

The smock I have currently is also not completely correct for the period, it having originally been used for an 18th century French fur trade reenactment that my neighbor used to do, but she wasn't gonna use it any more and passed it along to me, and since no one is gonna see it... Well, that's just one less thing I have to do.

Anyway, that's where I currently stand. Have a lovely day~!

1 comment: