Friday, March 11, 2016

Bliaut Part 1

Well, I managed to burn myself in the first 10 minutes, but I started a new dress...
Doing a bliaut, though I haven't done one before. Had already cut the sleeves out before I thought of a better way to do it. Oh well.
Also decided to do an extra full skirt, so cut extra gores. Wasn't aware I had so much fabric!
Took just under an hour to cut all the pieces out. Now to start pinning!
(I hate pinning...)
I have some trim to use as a belt and sleeve embellishment, which I think I bought almost 8 years ago, so I've been holding off for the perfect dress. I hope this is it!
Yards and yards of green! Gotta iron the whole lot.
    

The huge sleeves. They're gonna be a bitch to do anything in, while wearing this dress, but I will feel so damn pretty in them! :D Did them fitted till the elbow, because I have bands I want to put around there for embellishment.
Gusset bits for the armpits. 

Gores, four per side, for a total of eight. The circumference of the skirt is going to wind up being just about ten feet.


Here's the whole dress, all laid flat! Haven't put in a neck hole yet, but that's okay. This is probably one of my favorite shades of green. I've been sitting on this fabric for a few months now, maybe over a year? I dunno, a while, anyway. 
Seriously, fuck pinning.
 

 


My hoarded trim! I used to have this trim in brown and gold as well, but I can't for the life of me find it, which is a shame, 'cause a brown and gold version of this dress would also be lovely... 

3 comments:

  1. What is a bliaut? Love that shade of green and the trim looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traditional idea of a medieval gown is usually inspired by the bliaut; the dress with the huge draping sleeves! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah. Thank you for the explanation. You are making good progress!

    ReplyDelete