Tuesday, January 10, 2012

College Costuming

Sewing in my dorm room presents a bit of a challenge, but as I'm in what is technically an "on-campus apartment" it means I have my own bedroom, and since all the furniture is against the walls, it means I have a nice open space to spread out fabric. I should probably invest in a cutting mat, but that requires money...of which I have none. Lol. All my fabrics are Red Tag at JoAnn's, and tend to be bought with gift cards or holiday money. The brown fabric above was just $4 per yard, and I don't know if it's visible, but tucked under the left side of the fabric is a brown lacy dress, cut away from a truly awful thrifted sack dress. This is the beginning of my River costume.

 I started cutting out the shirt this afternoon (after this picture was taken) and I realized that I actually can't really tell how the seams in the shirt work...there are some in some very strange places, obviously more for decorative purposes than for simple construction reasons. The thing is, those crooked seams really lend to the "whimsical in the brain pan" that is River. I really feel like I need to keep the crazy seams, but they scare the hell outta me. The pink under-dress has similar crazy sideways seams, as well as many vertical ones that had body and swirl to the skirt, and I can't even bring myself to start thinking about the construction of that dress, yet. Well, I have four months, so...hopefully I'll think of something.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment