Friday, January 20, 2012

Well, Shit.

I was just skimming back over last night's post, and started actually doing the math...

I guess I've never really sat down and thought about how much I spend on costuming in a YEAR. I tend to go costume-by-costume. But let's look at this, shall we? What follows is predominantly estimations, rather than literal costs, so bare that in mind...

Steampunk Stuff. Much of what I wear to steampunk conventions is thrifted, which cuts down on costs quite a bit. However this year I bought a very nice corset, as well (gonna be the coolest pirate outfit, when I've actually made it!). So.

Random thrifted bits: $50
Corset: $200.
Random full-price bits (hats, goggles, shoes, etc): $75
Value of all steampunk costume stuff: $325

Anime Related Costumes. Only two last year, but they were both full of fiddly bits and both had wigs, so...

Kallen Cosplay:
Wig: $30
Tan fabric: $30
Red for the leg warmers and shirt: $12
White for the sleeves: $8
Belt materials: $12
Threads, buttons, Trim: $25
Total for the costume: $117

Sailor Pluto Cosplay:
Skirt/Bib fabric: $10
Leotard fabric: $20
Red for the bows: $10
Wig plus shipping: $50
Boots plus Shipping: $40
Tiara: $11
Gloves: $15
Trim and thread: $10
Staff: $40
Total for Costume: $206

I'm literally feeling sick to my stomach, looking at how much I've spent in costume stuff...and I'm not even finished. I haven't done the Hogwarts Four, yet! Luckily, those were costumes I was able to cut some massive corners on with a lot of pre-owned fabrics.

Hufflepuff:
Black fabric: $25
Yellow fabric: $25
Threads: $10
Cup: pre-owned
Total: $60

Slytherin:
Green fabric: pre-owned
Grey fabric: pre-owned
Fabric paint: $6
Threads: $5
Locket materials: $15
Total: $26

Ravenclaw:
Blue dress: pre-owned (in fact, the dress was already made, for an SCA event)
Bronze overrobe: $30
Diadem: $10 (had to buy special glue, and the gems to put in the center, but the copper was from my dad's garage)
Total: $40

Gryffindor:
Tunic:  $20
Cloak:pre-owned fabric
Cloak Pin: $10
Boots: pre-owned
Fabric paint: $15
Sword: pre-owned
Total: $45

Hogwarts Four all together: $171

Which is significantly higher than I had previously estimated, shit. O__O I'm terrified to add up all the totals, but...well...here it goes.

*drum roll please*

$819. Eight hundred and nineteen dollars.

I think I might throw up. *takes deep, calming breaths* Well, at least I stayed under $1,000, right? That has to count for something.... Shit. Definitely gonna have to keep better track of my spending this year. I have some receipts I should probably gather up from the fabrics I've already purchased towards this year's bunch of costumes...

Ugh. The worst part is that this doesn't even take into consideration Convention registration fees or hotel costs. When I think about that... We're looking at an additional almost $300, which does put me over that 1K mark. SHIT.

7 comments:

  1. Ouch, indeed. --_-- I'm definitely gonna pay better attention this year. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you're watching your budget I'd better not link you to the great period patterns website I just found. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. D: OMG, NoooooOOOOOOooo! I need it! I definitely need that link. :<

    ReplyDelete
  4. How easily I cave...

    http://sensibility.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. This pattern makes me wish I could crochet:
    http://sensibility.com/blog/queen-annes-lace-gloves-crochet-epattern-now-available/

    ReplyDelete